October 1, 2022
😀 Updates since last month
Updated: October 1, 2022
- Working on switching from a Windows computer to a Mac for work
- There’s a lot the same and a lot that’s different – keyboard shortcut habits are tough to break!
- Went to Kansas City to watch The Gaslight Anthem
- I have been a fan since about 2015, which was after they weren’t touring/making music – so I was excited for this one – and it was slightly disappointing.
📗 Book I’m currently reading
- The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert
- Talking about the 5 mass extinctions that have happened in the past and asking if we’re in the next mass extinction currently. Pretty fascinating to read about the people that first discovered the dinosaurs bones – that would be pretty frightening digging up a pterodactyl!
📕 Books I finished reading last month
- One Giant Leap by Charles Fishman
- This was a great book that summarized all of the work that it took to get the Apollo space mission to the moon. It’s an incredible lesson in hard work, dedication, innovation, and persistence.
- The Moviegoer by Walker Percy
- This was an odd book. I thought the initial setup of the story was good – the main character was about to turn 30, he had a good job and lots of dates with various women, but he was searching for something. However, the end was odd and I didn’t really understand it.
🎸 Music I’ve been listening to
- Do I Love You (Indeed I Do), Bruce Springsteen
- The first single from Bruce’s new album of old soul music covers. This album seems to appeal to me a little more than his last few, Western Stars and Letter to You. The album will be released Nov 11.
- Beguiled, Smashing Pumpkins
- The Smashing Pumpkins also released a new song from an upcoming album that won’t be released until April 2023. This sounds real heavy and I like it. But it reminds me a little (or a lot) of Eye of the Beholder by Metallica.
- Not Today, The White Buffalo
- And another single, this one from The White Buffalo who will be releasing his “headphone album” titled The Year of Dark Horse on Nov 11 as well. Also looking forward to this one!
🎧 Podcast episodes I thought were interesting
- The Obsidian Deep Dive, Mac Power Users
- Obsidian is an app I’ve been watching for a while. This podcast was a good in-depth review of the features and functionality, albeit a little outdated.
🎥 Videos I thought were worth watching
- Houston, We’ve Had a Problem, Apollo 13
- Every once in a while YouTube amazes me on what you can find on it. As I was reading about the Apollo missions I started looking up these recordings of the radio back and forth between the astronauts and Mission Control. This one from Apollo 13 is pretty cool and I thought it was cool at how much the movie got right from these recordings.
- Planting the American flag, Apollo 11
- Another interesting video that’s amazing to me that we can just search for and pull up.
- Lunar Liftoff, Apollo 17
- And just to round this list out, the last time humans were on the moon.
✍ Quote I’ve been thinking about
“Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.“– Steve Jobs, Apple ad